[PyMOL] Trying to get rms and rms_cur to run
Evan Kantrowitz
2009-03-10 14:55:21 UTC
Hi Folks,

I have two positions of one small molecule. I am trying to
determine the RMSD between them without doing an align

I read the molecules into pymol as m1 and m2. As seen below each has
23 atoms. When I do an rms it gives the error: No atoms selected, but
if I do an align it it fine. Can anyone help with why the rms does
not work?

PyMOL>sele a, m1
Selector: selection "a" defined with 23 atoms.

PyMOL>sele b, m2
Selector: selection "b" defined with 23 atoms.

PyMOL>rms m2, m1
ExecutiveRMS-Error: No atoms selected.

PyMOL>align m2, m1
Match-Warning: unknown residue type 'AMP' (using X).
Match-Warning: unknown residue type 'AMP' (using X).
Match: read scoring matrix.
Match: assigning 1 x 1 pairwise scores.
MatchAlign: aligning residues (1 vs 1)...
ExecutiveAlign: 23 atoms aligned.
ExecutiveRMS: 1 atoms rejected during cycle 1 (RMS=0.37).
Executive: RMS = 0.333 (22 to 22 atoms)

PyMOL>rms m2, m1
ExecutiveRMS-Error: No atoms selected.

Evan R. Kantrowitz,